Saturday, March 26, 2011

continuation- regresar,playa el tunco y feria

 As a substitute, you tend to get a little bit more good behavior out of the kids.It's funny how they will tattle on each other too. If you turn your back for a minute while they are having a quiz for example, one or two will raise their hand and say, "Mr. Alex, Jose is whispering" or, "Marisela is not in her seat".We had about 10 minutes left before the end of the school day when they started to get really rowdy. I began telling them to be quiet and sit in their seats. I found myself repeating myself and progressively getting louder and louder when I decided to whistle as loud as I could and start counting. At that, they all ran as fast as they could to their seats as if they the sky was falling. It took a moment for the decibles to subside but they finally did. One girl asked me to tell them a joke. I couldn't think of a joke off the top of my head, but I knew I had to think of something to try to keep their attention, so I said, "I have a question for you, I will write it on the board".On the board I wrote, why did the chicken cross the road? One thing we found here is that a joke, or a concept, doesn't always translate well, and these are third graders.
 They were very quiet for a minute so I read it out loud. I began getting a few answers. "Because, he, he  wanted to see his friend". "Mr., Mr. he wanted to beat the cars." "He wanted to find a new way home." "She wanted to find her babies." "He was looking for food." Here is my favorite. One boy ran up to me and said, "Mr., Mr., because he, he wanted to see Jesus." I was puzzled for a second, laughed and said, "See Jesus! "That's creative but it's still not the answer." I was laughing inside. Kids are funny. Finally, I told those who had stood up to sit back down, and everybody be quiet so I could tell them the answer. "Is everyone ready?" Yes Mr. We are ready. I couldn't wait. As i told them the answer, I drew a picture on the board. "The chicken crossed the road", pause, eyes waiting, watching, "to get to the other side." The silence was golden. You could see the let down and puzzled looks in their eyes, then there were a couple of, "Aye Mr.s." At that it was time to go, which of course they were ecstatic at, and out the door they ran. By Mr., by Mr.

No comments:

Post a Comment